Sunday, December 16, 2012

The One O'Clock Walk

December 14, 2012
T-minus 20 hours and 38 minutes until Graduation.

It is 1:22 a.m. as I type this edition of my blog, and I can hear the voices in my head telling me that I need rest because I'm graduating tomorrow (or rather, today).  But I am ignoring those voices because 1) I can sleep in, and 2) I need to get these thoughts out of my head before I forget.  

About 22 minutes ago, I spontaneously decided to go on what I'm going to call from now on the "One O'Clock Walk."  I came up with it myself.  I thought it suiting because it was 1:00 am when I started, and I walked around the campus.  Profound, I know.  It actually started when I went to take the garbage out to the dumpster next to McClellen (for those of you who do not get that reference, take the virtual tour on SBU's website).  As I finished, I looked over at the Administration Building and began remembering memories that I have made at SBU over my student career.  I decided that it was as good a time as any to take a walk and remember my time at SBU.  In the following paragraphs are some of the memories that I have that are attached to the buildings that I walked by during my One O'Clock Walk.

Sells Administrative building:  99% of the time, this is the first building that any prospective student sets foot in when they visit SBU.  While I can't remember the date, I remember the day.  It was overcast, about 38 degrees, windy, and misting.  Not the most attractive weather for looking at a college.  Our family went into the building where we were greeted by students who would show us around the campus.  Everyone in that building was welcoming and helpful, giving me a good feeling about SBU right off the bat.  These things I will remember.

Jester Center:  I always thought that this building had the most fitting and ironic name at the same time.  It is fitting because this is where the theater department is located and I also spent an hour and a half of my life in hysterical laughter during a production (an opera, I think) that took place here.  It is also ironic because this building also holds the library, a place of solitude and serenity.  It was in this building that I spent hours researching for papers and projects.  It was here that I learned how to operate a microfiche machine and also discovered my passion for photography.  These things I will remember.

Wheeler Science building:  This was the building that thought would shape my career.  And it did, in a way.  I originally came in as a biology major with the intention of going into the physical therapy doctorate program that SBU offered.  Many hours of my early career were spent in classrooms, labs, and hallways, studying the intricacies of life and its Designer.  I also spent several hours in this building taking refuge from a tornado.  I learned many things in this building, one of the most important of which was that I could not do Chemistry to save my life.  So, my dreams of becoming a physical therapist went out the window, and my desire to become a teacher began to grow its wings.  These things I will remember.

Meyer Wellness Center:  I cannot even begin to estimate how much time that I have spent in this building, although I do know where a majority of it took place: the intramural gym.  This place played a crucial role in the friendships that I have developed while at SBU.  From very early in my time there, there was a core group of guys that I played pick-up basketball with, on almost a weekly basis for 4 years.  I never was very good, but it didn’t matter; I had so much fun with these guys and made some great memories.  Many of these friends have gone, but the friendships remain.  These things I will remember.

Casebolt Music Center:  I think I’ll miss this building the most.  It was here that I felt a real sense of belonging and made some of the best friends I’ve ever had.  When we came to visit SBU, my brother and I were interested in music and when we stepped into that building, we felt like we were wanted.  Even as a non-music major, I felt very at home here.  Every day of my time in Chorale, I looked forward to that time that we met because I knew that I was in a place where I belonged.  I learned so much in this building, so much that I can’t begin to describe the effect that it has had on me.  Suffice it to say, there are many memories and friendships that have been made here, and I cherish every one.  These things I will remember. 

Mellers Dining Commons:  Or, “the punch line,” if you like.  Ever since I began my time at SBU, Mellers was at the butt of every joke when it came to food.  If I could remember any, I would write them, but cleverness escapes me.  I actually came up with a theory called the “Mellers Phenomenon.”  The idea is that you are hungry when you go in, but once your stomach realizes you are eating at Mellers, it acts as though it is full.  At this point you think you are full but once you get back to your room, your stomach knows that there is good food in the fridge, thus becoming hungry again.  The truth is it wasn’t all bad.  There were days that the food resembled cardboard more than it did actual food, but it was edible and I don’t think it killed anyone.  If I’m honest, there are only two things that I’ll remember about Mellers, and neither has to do with food.  The first is the time I spent with friends, laughing at jokes and getting to know people better; there’s no better way to do that than over lunch.  The second is “Miss Kay.”  She is one of the sweetest people you’ll ever meet, and she is incredible at remembering names.  I think it took her two days to know me by name and tell me apart from my brother.  And it wasn’t just me.  She knew everyone’s name and ID number.  Everyone.  That is just amazing to me.  These things I will remember.

Gott Education building:  This is where I discovered my passion for teaching.  As you can guess, this is where the Education Department is located.  These folks are amazing.  There is so much knowledge and experience between the professors in this department and every one of them will do whatever it takes to help students to succeed.  I cannot say enough to describe how much this group has done to help me develop as a professional teacher.  The fact that the chair of a department at my university would want to spend time to talk to me and invest in me as a student is something that I couldn’t find anywhere else.  That’s one of the big reasons why I came to SBU.  These things I will remember.

Taylor Center:  I believe that everyone at SBU has spent a couple of million hours fighting computers in the Taylor labs.  I know that I have.  This building is also home to several departments, including the History Department.  I learned so much about my content in the hours that I spent in these classes.  Among my favorite courses were Ancient Greece and Gilded Age/Progressivism.  My advisor was also located in this building.  If I ever wanted to meet with him, I knew that I had to set aside at least 30 minutes to compensate for conversations ranging from sports to military history.  Sometimes inconvenient, but always an enjoyable time.  These things I will remember.

Yes this is a long post, but I feel like it deserves to be shared.  As a grateful soon-alumnus of Southwest Baptist University, the least that I can do is to share my experiences and express my thanks to everyone who helped me to make these memories.  So thank you, to the faculty, staff, administration, and students of SBU for helping me make it through the last four years.  I wouldn’t have it any other way.

These things I will always remember.







No comments:

Post a Comment